Pages

Friday, March 25, 2016

Repurposing Vintage into Bridal



Repurposing Vintage into Bridal


Once upon a time about 8 years ago, I married a bald headed man in the midst of sleeping grape vines in Wine Country.  It was December, cold and clear – and to keep costs down, we got married on a Sunday and DIY’d most of the decorations, floral and table settings.  I even made my own jewelry – because as a jewelry designer, I definitely could make exactly what I wanted.

In the midst of the flurry that is wedding planning, I forgot something pretty important. 




 Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

Words from an old English poem that every bride knows by heart.  Well, maybe not the “silver sixpence in her shoe” bit, but the rest…definitely.  And I don’t know about you – but when I was a bride, it was a scramble at the last minute to find all those things and somehow carry them in a dress with no pockets.  After my honeymoon, while sitting down to think about Spring and Bridal design ideas, I remembered that scramble.  And thought about how I could help my Bridal clients from having the same problem. 

The repurposing of vintage/antique components into modern design is not a new one.  Every one of us has bits and pieces of broken costume jewelry that most times gets thrown into a junk drawer or thrown out.  But in my case, a love of vintage/antique costume jewelry started early thanks to a very image conscious grandmother who loved her sparkles.  I’d amassed a collection of vintage jewelry pieces as well as bits of broken jewelry along the way.  While looking at these pieces next to my collection of antique chandelier crystals, I had an idea.

Why not combine vintage and new elements and knock out these all at once? 
 
Something old -  Use a vintage rhinestone pin/pendant/locket

Something new – Use new gemstones as accents 

Something borrowed – Work with a bride to add a piece of her own costume jewelry into the design

Something blue – Add a piece of blue to the design, a crystal or bead at the clasp. 

And voila – suddenly an easy way to add a single item that had all these elements in one.  No need for pockets or trying to wrangle an evening bag while meeting and greeting or walking up the aisle.    

Hands free to hug and dance the night away.

No comments:

Post a Comment